
Born: January 23, 2009
Estimated Due Date: January 29, 2009
Weight: 7 Pounds, 11 Ounces
Length: 20.5 Inches
I had my last prenatal appointment on January 20, 2009. At that time I was not dilated. However, I swore that I would try anything and everything possible to get the ball rolling so that we could meet our sweet baby girl.
I woke up Thursday morning at 3am with very mild contractions. Tyler left for work at 5:30am and by 7am I sent him a text message to tell him that I was still having them. I presumed they were Braxton Hicks contractions and went back to sleep.
I went about my day and “just incase” did my hair and makeup. I also made sure to take a few “Pregnancy Pictures at 39 Weeks”. Something inside me was telling me that something was happening but I wasn’t quite sure at that time what it was.
Tyler came home from work at 7:30pm and the contractions were noticeably stronger by then. We decided to begin timing them and they were 5-10 minutes apart and lasting anywhere from 30-45 seconds. He wanted to go to the hospital right away but I told him that things were probably just getting ready for the big day and that I would just have a bath to relax. After my bath I decided to watch some T.V. with Ty but he was nodding off quickly. I stayed up and tried to keep my mind off the contractions but they kept getting stronger and stronger as time went on.
By 2am my heart was racing because the contractions were quite painful and regular. I decided to wake Tyler up and have him take me to the hospital. When I was checked I was 1cm dilated and told that we could stay the rest of the night to see if I dilated any further by morning or I could take some Tylenol 3 for the pain, go home and rest and come back if needed. We decided to go home to rest as I thought it must just have been false labor.
When we got home I did not go back to sleep. The contractions became very strong and very painful. By 11:30 am we decided to go back to the hospital as I was positive this time that I was in labor and there wasn’t anything false about it!
My Mom met us at the hospital. By this point I was a weeping baby! I usually have a very high tolerance for pain but I found the contractions excruciating! I was given Demerol to take the edge off and at that point I was 3-4cm dilated. I was admitted and began my antibiotics for GBS.
My labor progressed at an average rate throughout the day. The Doctor broke my water late in the afternoon and I was finally fully dilated. The Epidural did not numb the pain totally but it made my labor very relaxing. They gave me a small amount of Pitocin to help with the contractions near the end; however, it was only needed for a short amount of time.
Tyler, my Mom, Tyler’s mother, and my Aunt were all present for the birth of our little princess. She was delivered by our wonderful nurses (I needed to push and the Doctor was nowhere to be found) and she had the cord around her neck. After the cord was cut from her neck, Tyler was able to cut the cord too.
I did not require any stitches and we were able to leave the hospital on January 25, 2009.
We love our sweet daughter more than we could ever imagine.